1130 Fire Tower Road
Sanford, NC 27330
Buffalo Cemetery was established on the grounds of Buffalo Presbyterian Church in 1870, as the congregation’s original burial grounds approached capacity. Originally covering about three and a half acres on a rise to the southeast of the church, the cemetery now covers more than 25 acres at the intersection of Carthage Street and Firetower Road in Sanford. Originally affiliated with the church, the cemetery was taken over by the city of Sanford in the 1940s, and was incorporated, along with the Jonesboro Cemetery, as a nonprofit overseen by a volunteer board of directors in 1966. Thanks to the presence of several historically significant hand-carved brownstone monuments, the cemetery’s original section is included on the National Register of Historic Places.